Altair 60 EDF Doublet Refractor Telescope
NEW 2017 Version with S-FPL-53 ED Lens, Optical Test Report, and rear Camera Angle Adjuster (CAA).
The ULTIMATE travel scope, suitable for wide field imaging or visual use, day or night-time.
The Altair 60 EDF is our most compact telescope so far, and a more refined version of the Lightwave 66 ED-R. It has improved optics in the form of an S-FPL53 based doublet objective lens providing superior colour correction, and a lighter more compact tube, CNC Rack n Pinion focuser with a rear camera rotator and triple thumbscrews to hold your camera or diagonal firmly in place.
Better than FPL51. When it comes to astro imaging, the FPL53 optical design has all the performance you need in a dual imaging and visual telescope, offering better colour correction than an FPL51 based doublet telescope with the same focal length and aperture thanks to the "synthetic fluorite" S-FPL53 ED lens element.
Optical quality. The telescope is guaranteed to arrive in perfect collimation. Every single optical tube comes with an optical test report and AtmosFringe analysis. Optical smoothness, figuring, and overall performance is very consistent and every lens has a unique serial number linked to the glass batch and test report. Altair Astro pioneered this approach and our customers always get the best quality.
Oversized lens. The lens actually has a larger diameter than 60mm, however, to improve outer edge performance, it has been limited to 60mm. This improves the edge performance of the optics, and gives better "Bokeh" with an optimum focal ratio of F6.0. (350mm focal length). Performance is better than multi-element camera lenses costing many times the price, even when they are stopped down to give better star-images. Of course, being a telescope, and lacking a diaphragm/iris also improves the image.
Rear Camera Angle Adjuster (CAA). The Altair 60EDF focuser has a rotating rear collar with locking screws allowing you to frame the object perfectly, without rotating the whole focuser, or the optical tube. This is a distinct advantage especially when mounting the telescope with other scopes, and motor focusers, to avoid the extra equipment fouling the mounting bars.
Imaging friendly focuser. The micro CNC machined Rack 'n Pinion focuser has full tension-adjustment to handle heavy loads, like a large eyepiece, CCD or DSLR camera. The drawtube has 75mm travel and a graduated scale in mm. This is a straightforward focuser for imaging. There are no gimmicks - just remove the course focus knob and attach a Pegasus motor focuser coupler, mount the Pegasus motor unit on a dovetail bar under the focuser*, and you are ready to go. *Only possible with Camera Angle Adjuster!
Astrophotography. The ED Doublet design offers very good colour correction, while keeping the optical tube extremely compact. The new S-FPL53 ED Doublet lens gives better colour correction in the blue regions of the spectrum than the earlier 66mm version with FPL51 optics. At F6, this telescope can be used with the optional 1.0x field flattener (code: FLAT-60) for wide field imaging, with a 41mm image circle. Optimum spacing is 54.8mm from the rear flange of the flattener to the image sensor, and spot size is particularly well matched to the Altair Hypercam 183C and 183M CMOS Astronomy Imaging cameras.
Hinged mounting ring and tube. The single tube ring allows the whole tube to rotate, and can be locked with the stainless steel thumbscrew. Loosen the thumbscrew and the telescope can be dismounted from the hinged for use with Altair Guide Scope Rings. The "mounting foot" terminates in a small dovetail plate with a flat base. The base has a standard 3-in-line hole pattern allowing attachment to most mounting systems on the market or to a camera tripod using M6 or 1/4" Photo Tripod Screws. The optional Starwave 200mm Vixen-style dovetail bar is recommended (SW-MINI-VBAR-200) for imaging with an equatorial mount - choose in the dropdown menu when ordering.
Dew control. The aluminium tube achieves thermal equilibrium very quickly, and the metal construction conducts heat easily to and from the front optics (essential for imaging and dew control). Choose the Pegasus Dew Zap Dew Controller (PEG-DEWZAP) or the Pegasus DSLR Buddy (PEG-DB-DR-E5) if you have a DSLR. For a heater, choose the DewZapper 3-4" OD Dew Heater (DEWH-34).
Attaching a finder scope. A finder scope or RDF (Red Dot Finder) is a very good addition, making finding objects quick and easy. Choose the Starwave RDF Finder Kit (SW-RDF-B1-UNIFBR) which includes a base for easy attachment to the focuser. If you want an optical finder, we recommend the Altair 60mm RACI or Starwave 50mm Straight-through finder scopes, which can both be used for an auto-guiding with the Altair GPCAM for long exposure imaging. Altair 50mm or 60mm finder scope or compact Red Dot Finders (RDF) can all be attached to the focuser by means of two screws and the included universal bases (UNIFBR).
Visual Observation: For visual use, you will need a mount, eyepieces and a star-diagonal to use this high quality telescope. We suggest the Starwave Mini-AZ mount (SW-MINIAZ) in matching red. The Altair Astro range of eyepieces and diagonals are all good quality options. Talk to us or your dealer for advice about eyepiece and diagonals.
- 60mm F6 ED Doublet refactor optical tube with retractable dewshield.
- Dual Speed 1:10 ratio 2.5" Rack 'n Pinion (Geared) Focuser with brass rack gear and tension adjustment (ideal for imaging).
- Improved retractable dew shield with a tighter fitting than the V1 (tension adjustable with 3 nylon tipped grub screws).
- 2" to 1.25" eyepiece adapter with brass compression rings.
- Tube ring with 3 standard M6 / 1/4" inline holes enabling the telescope to be balanced more easily for imaging, or dual-mounted as a guide scope.
- Push-fit lens cap and rear 1.25" dust plug.
- iOptron SkyTracker PRO or iOptron SkyGuider Mount (for imaging).
- iOptron Cube PRO Mount (for visual night-time and solar observing).
- 3/4" Dew Heater.
- 1.25" Dielectric Diagonal for night-time observation. For daytime use, get the 1.25" Image Erecting Prism.
- RDF finder / 60mm / 50mm optical finder scope.
- Altair Flat-60 1.0x field flattener.
- M48 DSLR adapter for Canon or Nikon.
- Altair CMOS Astronomy Camera.
- Pegasus USB Stepper Motor Focuser module to fit focuser.
- 60mm FPL53 ED Doublet Lens assembly, 360mm focal length, housed in a fully collimatable, CNC machined cell.
- Full multicoatings on all optical surfaces.
- Highest practical magnification 95x, Limiting magnitude 11.59.
- Light grasp approx. 73x human eye.
- 23cm length, dewshield retracted, 30cm extended.
- approx. weight 1.5kg (including ring and rear camera-rotator).
Availability: If shown as out of stock, click the red "notify when in stock" button to get an email alert when ready to ship.
Incl. VAT 20.00 % ( £33.33 )
Incl. VAT 20.00 % ( £166.50 )
Incl. VAT 20.00 % ( £136.50 )
Incl. VAT 20.00 % ( £82.50 )
There have been no reviews for this product.
Click here to join the Altair Astro Product Discussion Forum
Where to buy Altair Astro products:
- Tring Astronomy Centre (Hertfordshire, Advanced Stockist)
- Green Witch (Birstal & Cambridge, Advanced Stockist)
- Telescope House (Kent, Advanced Stockist)
- Harrison Telescopes (Stockist)
- Rother Valley Optics (Stockist)
- Wex Photographic (Norwich, Stockist)
- Ian King Imaging (Kent, Stockist)
- Peak 2 Valley Instruments (Derbyshire, Stockist)
- Widescreen Centre (Cambridgeshire, Stockist)
- F1 Telescopes (Kent)
- Grovers (North Yorkshire)
- Io Astronomy Please note: IO Astronomy voluntarily ceased trading with large unpaid debts affecting the entire UK astronomy industry. You may contact us for problems / issues with Altair or iOptron products ONLY - or try Darkframe Optics / Dave Woods. Unfortunately, we will not be able to support undeclared products bought from the ex-directors after the company ceased trading.
- Artesky Italy, Europe
- Astromarket AST Optics Belgium, Europe
- Astro AS Denmark, Europe
- Astro Sweden Belgium, Europe
- Ktech Telescopes Ireland, Europe
- Pierro Astro France, Europe
- SkyVision France, Europe
- Teleskop Service Ransburg Germany, Europe
North America & Canada orders:
Products can be ordered online from Altair with tracked insured shipping to anywhere in the world. For large items shipping price may need to be re-quoted.
Russia orders: Please contact.
Availability: If product shows as out of stock, please click on the "Notify me when in stock" button to receive instant notification of availability. Altair Astro and iOptron reserve the right to change the product price and specification without notice.