Altair GPCAM USB Cooler Module
Altair GPCAM USB Fan Cooler Kit consists of a large surface area aluminium heat sink with a USB powered fan.
It reduces noise for long exposures and is especially effective in cold conditions.
The fan is a high quality long-life, low vibration DC brushless unit with low noise bearing. It's rated for 40,000 Hours and designed for rack server use. A 2.5m USB cable delivers 5v DC to the fan.
Instructions for assembly & use:
1) Place guard over fan.
2) Screw the fan onto the heatsink through the guard by means of 4 included screws. The screws fit between the vanes. Route the fan cable through the heatink vanes for strain relief.
3) Peel off the special heat transfer backing on the underside of the heat sink.
4) Click the camera into place from the side (it won't slide on from the end because of the heat transfer backing).
5) Plug the USB cable into your PC USB port.
6) Optimum cooldown takes around 2-3 mins.
How does it work? Camera sensors get warm during operation causing fixed pattern and random thermal noise. This unwanted heat is best disposed of and this accessory helps disperse it into the surrounding air. The camera has a "cold finger" which contacts the rear of the sensor to conduct heat away into the casing, and ideally this heat needs to be conducted further away if possible. The heatsink contacts the casing via a special heat transfer pad. The fan drives air against the larger surface area of the heatsink vanes, cooling the casing by forced air convection. Even 3-4 degrees cooling has an effect on thermal and fixed pattern noise during long exposures when the gain is set high. The fan is especially effective in cold conditions such as when imaging at night time.
If out of stock, click on the red "notify when in stock" button for an email alert when ready to ship.
There have been no reviews for this product.
Click here to join the Altair Astro Product Discussion Forum
Where to buy Altair Astro products:
- Tring Astronomy Centre (Hertfordshire, Advanced Stockist)
- Green Witch (Birstal & Cambridge, Advanced Stockist)
- Telescope House (Kent, Advanced Stockist)
- Harrison Telescopes (Stockist)
- Rother Valley Optics (Stockist)
- Wex Photographic (Norwich, Stockist)
- Ian King Imaging (Kent, Stockist)
- Peak 2 Valley Instruments (Derbyshire, Stockist)
- Widescreen Centre (Cambridgeshire, Stockist)
- F1 Telescopes (Kent)
- Grovers (North Yorkshire)
- Io Astronomy Please note: IO Astronomy voluntarily ceased trading with large unpaid debts affecting the entire UK astronomy industry. You may contact us for problems / issues with Altair or iOptron products ONLY - or try Darkframe Optics / Dave Woods. Unfortunately, we will not be able to support undeclared products bought from the ex-directors after the company ceased trading.
- Artesky Italy, Europe
- Astromarket AST Optics Belgium, Europe
- Astro AS Denmark, Europe
- Astro Sweden Belgium, Europe
- Ktech Telescopes Ireland, Europe
- Pierro Astro France, Europe
- SkyVision France, Europe
- Teleskop Service Ransburg Germany, Europe
North America & Canada orders:
Products can be ordered online from Altair with tracked insured shipping to anywhere in the world. For large items shipping price may need to be re-quoted.
Russia orders: Please contact.
Availability: If product shows as out of stock, please click on the "Notify me when in stock" button to receive instant notification of availability. Altair Astro and iOptron reserve the right to change the product price and specification without notice.