Pegasus ULTIMATE PowerBox USB Control Hub
The Ultimate PowerBox is the all-in-one solution power hub for remote or observatory based astrophotography.
- Power managment and sensing with 4x12V Smart outputs,
- Dew control - two outputs, independently controlled.
- Stepper Motor Focus controller with temperature compensation. (Motors available separately).
- 6 port USB2.0** hub with 3A power and remote control switching. (See "Why USB2.0?" below for more info).
- Environmental sensing.
- Full remote automation and software control.
- Extremely compact and light weight 380g / 130x100x30mm.
Features in depth:
Convenience. If you're tired of carrying multiple power packs and dealing with a mess of power and data cables, our Ultimate Powerbox is the solution. Our idea is one enclosure with programmable power outputs in with the amp rating you need.
Reduce cable clutter. No cables disturb the movements of the mount or telescope, only the general power cord and one USB data cord come into to the Ultimate Powerbox which is mounted on your telescope. All other cables branch off from that to other devices, keeping things neat and tidy.
Safety. A precise voltmeter and amp-meter (up to 30A) measure and display outputs and inputs in real time (200 measurements per second). If the input is more than 13.8V the power is instantly cut off to protect your equipment.
Stand Alone Software. Modern standalone software with a neat dark skin, let's you control all Ultimate Powerbox features by remote. Receive metrics, View and zoom into graphs, name your outputs, tune every setting of your Ultimate Powerbox quickly and easily.
Industrial 6 port USB2.0 Hub. Works flawlessly from temperatures of -40°C to +80°C. The USB Hub can be turned ON/OFF by remote with the software (very desirable for resolving issues, or poweinrg up and down by remote). However, USB port No. 6 never switches off and supports up to 3A of current for USB powered devices like Daystar Quark or Daystar Quantum Hydrogean Alpha Solar filters. All USB ports include a short circuit and overload protection.
Stepper Motor Focus Controller. A stepper motor controller will precisely move your focuser. Connect a Pegasus Unipolar Motor or a fully compatible Rigel, Robofocus or Moonlight Motor. Backlash and temperature compensation are already implemented in the firmware and can be enabled, tuned or disabled from inside the software. A fully ASCOM6 focuser driver is already available.
Two channel duty cycle PWM outputs. Two Pulse width modulation (PWM) outlets are capable to provide power to your “thirsty” Dew Heaters. No more moisture fuzzing your equipment and destroying your clear nights. These outlets can be remote controlled from your laptop using the supplied software.
Dew Heater Auto Adjustment. Firmware can auto-tune the dew heater outputs by consulting the environmental sensor and Dew Point reading. Just click “Auto” and leave to Intelli Powerbox decide if it is time to switch on your dew heaters.
ASCOM 6 Fully supported.
Ultimate powerbox fully supports ASCOM6. In combination with our main program which acts as a server you can use our latest ASCOM 6.3 supplied drivers to:
- Control Stepper Motors.
- Pass environmental settings to supported software (such as Sequence Generator Pro)
- Switch ON or OFF all 12V outputs.
Easy attachment to your mounting hardware. External brackets support Losmandy / Vixen Plate attachment.
Led Indications for power and failure states. LED blinks in patterns to indicate power issues (e.g over or under voltage). The led is very dim but if you don’t like the brightness or have a dome/truss tube scope, you can switch it off via the software.
All Power Cables are included. Four power cable of DC 2.1mm to 2.1mm male (1m length) are included in the package.
External Environmental Sensor. External temperature & relative humidity sensor is included in the package, with 1 metre cable. Temperature, humidity and dew point measurements are displayed in the software.
Zoomable and Exportable Graphs for Power and Environment values. Software logs all voltage, current, temperature and relative humidity readings. All these plots are zoomable and easily exportable in PNG image & CSV text format.
USB2.0 Connectivity. Controller is always attached in the USB Hub (7th USB port). No extra cable needed. Just connect the USB Hub to your laptop and you are done.*
Reverse Polarity Protection. Ultimate Powerbox has been design with a reverse voltage polarity protection. It will definitely save your night if you accidentally connect the main power supply in reverse polarity!
Watchdog Feature. A sophisticated watchdog resets the device if for any reason there is no response from the controller for two (2) seconds. A neat feature in the unlikely event of the microcontroller freeze – essential for a remote observatory.
Upgradable Firmware. Device is easily firmware upgradable to support future features and bug fixes.
Compact Size and Lightweight. A blue anodised aluminium compact sized box enclose the controller board. Size is 13cm x 10cm x 10cm
We believe that if you own a remote observatory or you do advanced imaging there is no better alternative.
• Supports 28Amps in total
• 4 x 12V Smart Mosfet Ports. Can deliver up to 7Amps each with 4 x 2.1m Outlets. You can view individual power consumption by remote with the management software.
• Ports can be remotely switched ON / OFF
• Ports can be configured to turn ON / OFF during boot
• Ampmeter per output port
• Voltmeter on main Input (Measures input voltage)
• Ampmeter on main input (Measures total Amps)
• Measure Average Current, Amps per Hour, Watts per Hour (Can calculate your
remaining battery juice)
• Dual Channel PWM Duty Cycle Control – 2 x RCA outlets (For Dew Heaters or
• Short circuit protection in every outlet – Noticeable Alerts in software
• Reverse Polarity Protection in Input
Focus Controller Features
• Supports Unipolar Stepper Motors (such as Robofocus, Moonlite, Pegasus Astro)
• Backlash Compensation in firmware
• Temperature readings on focus position change
• External 1m length sensor
• Measures Temperature, Relative Humidity, Dew Point
• Industrial USB Hub supporting temperatures from -40 to +80 °C)
• 7 x USB2 Ports (6 x usable, 1 dedicated – internally wired for UPB controller)
• USB Ports can be remotely switched ON/OFF
• Temperature vs. Time
• Relative Humidity vs. Time
• Current vs. Time
• Voltage vs. Time
• Black Anodized Aluminum Enclosure
• Compact size: 130mm x 100 mm x 30mm
• Can be attached in a dovetail
• Lightweight: 380g
• Upgradable Firmware
• All cables are included
* Why is the Pegasus Ultimate Power Box not USB3.0? Actually for deepsky imaging, USB2.0 is the most reliable option, for the following reasons: The huge bandwidth of USB3.0 isn't required to control a mount, filter wheel, motor focuser, guide camera, nor download an image from a deepsky camera. USB2.0 is more stable and less error prone, permitting longer cables. USB2.0 cables do not require the same amount of shielding as USB3.0 cables (which are very thick) and therefore become very stiff in the cold, which causes cable-pull and tracking errors. Finally USB3.0 cables are limited to about 3m length due to signal reflection problems from the end of the cable (in fact they are most reliable at around 1.8m) but USB2.0 cables can be up to 5m long for non-bandwidth critical use, making them far more suitable. Finally, USB3.0 ports can often be quite glitchy when sharing multiple devices. So that's why USB2.0 is the way to go for mount control. Obviously if you are using your USB3.0 camera for high speed solar or planetary imaging, you would connect it directly to the computer via a single cable, but for USB2.0 you would connect it to the hub.
Q: Why Choose the Pegasus Ultimate Power Box over a stick PC in an enclosure?
A: Here are some reasons to choose the UPB over a Stick PC to control your mount, dew heaters and focuser, and act as USB Hub. Check if the device you are being offered has these features before buying:
- The industrial usb hub working temperature range is from -40 to +80 degrees Celcius. Most of the consumer hubs on the market are designed to work at room temperature. If using a home usb hub out in the cold in winter (below zero) you might experience random disconnects to usb ports.
- Having a tiny PC (PC stick or small PC cube enclosure) close to the Ultimate Powerbox (and not inside it) gives you the advantage of being able to upgrade to a better specified one after 1-2 years or upgrade your existing PC with more memory and disk space. Most locked-down "all-in-one" devices come with predefined specs, and you cannot upgrade the PC or any component such as memory or disk.
- The Ultimate Powerbox is the only device that measures temperature / humidity / dew point and automatically tunes the power of your dew heater channels based on these readings. You don't need to turn on/off the heaters when high moisture is in the air. Let the device do it for you.
- The Ultimate Powerbox includes a stepper motor controller. You don't have to buy an extra controller unit to use motorized focus with your telescope, saving you money.
- The Ultimate Powerbox is suitable for remote observatory automatic control. You can create scripts and use our ASCOM drivers that support a) Focus operation b) Switch Control c) Environmental readings (temperature / humidity).
- All power cables are included in the package.
- You can have Zoomable and Exportable Graphs for Power and Environment values. Software logs all voltage, current, temperature and relative humidity readings. All these plots are zoomable and easily exportable in .PNG image & .CSV text format. Keep a full record of your night conditions.
- Pegasus Software supports timers to shutdown outputs. You can choose the time to shutdown output ports when you schedule it.
- There are reverse polarity protections and overvoltage + overcurrent protection for each output. If you exceed the 12V-13V range the power will be automatically cut to save your precious devices. Also a short-wire per port will be reported and power will be cut.
Availability: Usually in stock, takes about 5 days if not in stock, distributed by Altair Astro.
Incl. VAT 20.00 % ( £6.66 )
Incl. VAT 20.00 % ( £0.50 )
Incl. VAT 20.00 % ( £30.83 )
There have been no reviews for this product.