Starwave 70 EDQ-R Quad APO Imaging Refractor
- Altair Hypercam cameras are en excellent match, especially the Hypercam 183 Series 20mpx cameras. Simply attach the camera with an T2-Thread Female to M48 Female adapter, or even screw the 2" nosepiece directly to the M48 male thread on the back of the focuser (the nosepiece has an M48 female filter thread nn the front).
- You can attach a DSLR by means of the Altair M48 Canon or Nikon DSLR adapters. (Ensure the inner ring grub screws on any M48 DSLR adapter are tight to reduce the chance of tilt).
- For DSLR use, a clip filter is recommended to control light pollution.
The rack and pinion focuser is compatible with Pegasus motor focusers enabling full autofocus control using various programs, including SharpCap.
For dew control, and to reduce the chance of the outer metal tube losing heat faster than the lens elements and constricting the unevenly, or internal condensation forming in the air gaps between lenses, we recommend the high power Dewzapper "DSLR" heater, product code DEWH-34-DSLR is used. In winter time the dew heater is best left on running at the upper temperature range to keep the whole OTA warm.
For autoguiding and super accurate polar aligment (with Sharpcap's polar align feature), you simply can't beat the Altair Astro 60mm Guide-Scope, or the Altair Starwave 50mm Guide-Scope, and any of the Altair GPCAM camera range. The best configuration would be a side-by-side using the Starwave 110mm Guide scope rings and 200mm Vixen-format Dovetail bar (code: SWGSR-110-200) and dual Vixen dovetail bar kits. (Code: SW-DUAL-VBAR-230MM)
- Firstly, dew control. It is almost unheard of to operate an imaging scope in the UK without condensation forming on the front lens very quickly as temperatures plummet.
- As with any telescope, the optics perform best when they are all more or less the same temperature relative to each other and their housings / cells (as we explained, various components have different expansion coefficients depending on materials used).
- With the elements being spaced within a tube with air gaps between them, keeping the unit warm overall stops any possible condensation forming on the inner lens surfaces.
- Because aluminium alloys lose heat around 400 times faster than glass), it helps reduce any sharp temperature gradients between the glass elements and their metal housings for better overall performance.
- Finally, maintaining a constant temperature is essential to keep focus during a set of long exposures. Small pixel cameras tend to be used with flat field scopes like this, and changes in focus are immediately obvious.
- Harrison Telescopes
- Tring Astronomy Centre
- Rother Valley Optics
- F1 Telescopes
- Io Astronomy Please note: IO Astronomy voluntarily ceased trading with large unpaid debts affecting the entire UK astronomy industry. You may contact us for problems / issues with Altair or iOptron products ONLY - or try Darkframe Optics / Dave Woods. Unfortunately, we will not be able to support undeclared products bought from the ex-directors after the company ceased trading.
North America & Canada orders:
- Land Sea & Sky (Takahashi America) North America
Products can be ordered online from Altair with tracked insured shipping to anywhere in the world. For large items shipping price may need to be re-quoted.
Russia orders: Please contact.