Altair 6" F5 Newtonian Telescope
This Newtonian reflector with 150mm aperture and F5 focal ratio is well suited for visual observation and astrophotography. An ideal beginner telescope with higher quality optics and build quality than most similar Newtonians on the market.
- Aperture 150 mm / Focal length 750 mm F ratio F5
- High-quality parabolic primary mirror with 94 % reflection coating for a brighter image.
- Large secondary mirror with 63mm diameter for a well illuminated image field for astrophotography
- Precise 2" Crayford focuser for accurate focusing - Motorfocus optional.
- Adjustable primary- and secondary mirror holder made of metal, convenient collimation marking on primary mirror
- Focus position optimised for observation with all customary eyepieces and for astrophotography with coma correctors
- Due to its short build the Newtonian is suitable for smaller mounts (Skywatcher EQ3 upwards)
- Central mark on the primary mirror for easy collimation
- 6x30 finder scope, ring clamps, dovetail included (compatible with Altair MG60 for auto guiding)
A superb beginner´s telescope. Thanks to its easy handling and solid build, this Newtonian is well suited for beginners who want more build quality than more common mass-produced 6" Newtonians. We recommend the Skywatcher EQ3 or EQ5 mounts, or iOptron CEM26 or larger. Very good views of the moon and planets, as well as nebulae and galaxies are possible with this telescope, and it's relatively light and portable for a reflector of this type while still remaining reasonable in price. As you progress, upgrades such as such as coma correctors for astrophotography and a guide scope can be added.
Astrophotography is also possible with this telescope. The secondary mirror offers good illumination. Rather than total cut-off at the corners like some Newtonians, vignetting and light falloff is correctable with flat-frames even on APS-C size sensors on cameras such as the Hypercam 26 series. Hypercam 183 and 533 series are even more evenly illuminated. The 2" Single Speed Crayford focuser with ball bearings accepts all customary coma correctors. These features make this telescope capable of astrophotography and visual observation all in one.
Only a good coma corrector turns this Newtonian into a true astrograph. Our recommendation is the Maxfield NEWTONIAN Coma Corrector 0.95x Product code: T-969KNDWAWD-67 which is perfect for this telescope, offering very good edge sharpness. The working distance from the M48 thread is 55 mm. With a T-ring, you are automatically at the right distance for astrophotography with DSLR cameras. For Hypercam or other dedicated astro cameras, you can work out the spacing using this guide here with the coma corrector substituted for reducer/flattener.
- Aperture: 150 mm (6")
- Focal length: 750 mm
- F-ratio: f/5
- Primary mirror: Parabolic primary mirror with 94 % reflection and protective Quartz overcoat.
- Secondary mirror: 63 mm - ideal for APS-C format sensors with suitable coma correctors.
- Field of view: roughly 38 mm illumination (90 %) - suitable for full format cameras and large 2" eyepieces
- Focuser: 2" Crayford focuser accepts both 1.25" and 2" eyepieces (adaptor included).
- Back-focus: roughly 78 mm
- Tube weight: 5.9 kg
- Tube diameter: 179 mm
- Tube length: 690 mm
General information and features:
- Parabolic mirror with a smooth surface for planetary and deep-sky observation.
- Brighter image through enhanced 94% reflectivity of primary and secondary mirror.
- Motor focus can be retrofitted at any time.
- A 0.5 mm thin stainless steel spider provides stability and delicate sharp diffraction spikes around bright stars.
- Adjustable primary mirror cell and secondary cell completely made of metal.
- Large collimation knobs on the rear mirror make for easier collimation and setup.
Delivery Weight Package