Altair GPCAM 255C Colour Astro Imaging Camera
This is a "basic" version of the GPCAM for video astronomy or planetary imaging.
The GPCAM enables Live Stacking for real-time viewing of deep-sky objects, allowing you to see objects which are simply not visible with the naked eye and small telescopes.
Replace your eyepiece with a GPCAM and prepare to be amazed by the detail and colour you can see in for example, the Messier objects with Live Stacking.
Our solar system is covered too. The camera runs in high speed video mode allowing you to capture .SER files, which can be enhanced using free software AutoStakkert and Registax for amazingly sharp views of the moon and planets.
Proper long-exposure deepsky imaging is possible in long exposure mode, and you can learn more about astrophotography this way with the output of true RAW .FITS files, compatible with any astro imaging software.
Interested in meteors? You can also add the optional 150degree Meteor lens for allsky timelapse video.
Download the AltairCapture software and/or ASCOM driver here: www.altairastro.com/help (opens new window).
SPECIAL OFFER! FREE 12 Month SharCap PRO License included with this camera. Just download the latest version of SharpCap and connect your camera, register when the screen pops up, and off you go. Sharpcap PRO has the amazingly accurate guidescope polar alignment routine, focus assistance, live flat field subtraction and many more great features to make deepsky, video astronomy or solar system imaging that much easier. SharpCap Download and license information here.
What's in the box:
- GPCAM Camera body
- CS Adapter with built-in UV/IR blocking AR Coated Optical Window
- 1.25" Nosepiece extension with 1.25" Astro Filter thread (screw this onto the front of the camera for use with your telescope or 1.25" filters)
- 1.5m ST4 Guide Cable compatible with most GOTO mounts.
- USB2.0 Cable
- Plastic dust cap
Note: This camera does not come with software in the box because it is continually evolving. You will need the latest version AltairCapture download here before you can use the camera.
More in-depth information about the GPCAM225C:
The GPCAM225C is an all-in-one General Purpose astronomy camera with a 1.2mpx Sony CMOS IMX225 Colour sensor. It's the size of a small eyepiece, and weighs about 70 grams.
You can image the Moon, Sun and Planets in full HD high speed video mode, or take long exposure deep-sky images.
This camera will work with almost any telescope which has the standard 1.25" "push-fit" adaptor. Just focus using an eyepiece, drop in the camera and you are ready to explore the night sky with enhanced digital vision.
The free downloadable AltairCapture camera control software enables "live stacking" to enhance images of deep-sky objects in real time, like a "digital eyepiece". You can also record of high speed video, time-lapse video of meteors, or single frame long exposure images.
GPCAM is perfect for auto guiding with the Altair Miniguider 60mm (MG60) and 50mm finder/guider optical tube ranges. GPCAM fits direct to your guide scope optical tube just like a 1.25" eyepiece, and no additional adaptors are required to achieve focus.
Full ROI (Region Of Interest) support is included, allowing you to increase the frame rate to higher speeds by isolating areas of interest such as planets or lunar features.
Latest Sony HD CMOS colour sensor:
Selected 1/3" Sony HD CMOS sensor with 3.75 micron pixels, high sensitivity and fast frame rate, as well as long time exposure capability. Provides high colour performance in a very low light environment, required for planetary imaging, video astronomy and deepsky exposures. The sensor is protected by a double-side Anti Reflection (AR) coated optical window, The colour camera optical window blocks UV & IR light enabling direct use with telescopes, Barlow Lens or reducer, yet permits the Hydrogen Alpha light from nebulae through, unlike a standard DSLR which blocks most of these sought-after red wavelengths.
A built-in ST4 auto guider port is included on the GPCAM with a 2m ST4 cable. Simply plug your GPCAM into the ST4 guide port on your mount and plug the camera into your PC. This reduces cable-clutter and there is no need for an expensive USB converter box.
Connecting your GPCAM to telescopes with filters, and CS-Mount lenses:
The CNC machined aluminum housing has a standard 1.25 inch OD barrel to fit to almost any telescope focuser including the Altair Miniguider 60, 80, and Starwave 50mm guide scopes. A standard 1.25 inch eyepiece filter can be installed on the end of the 1.25" barrel, such as a light pollution or other special filter. The 1.25" barrel can be removed to reveal a standard CS-mount thread, compatible with most industrial and surveillance lenses, or microscope eyepiece adaptors.
The Meteor lens:
You can use the optional 150 degree field of view F1.6 Meteor lens for wide angle imaging of the sky to capture meteorites and aurora displays - or just create a time-lapse video of the night sky as the earth rotates. You can even make time-lapse daytime videos to capture cloud formations or capture any activity with standard high speed video mode. This little lens is sharp too, and perfectly capable of macro photography and video. All this is possible with the free AltairCapture software download. Your imagination is the limit!
Software & compatibility:
- Note: This camera does not come with software in the box. You will need to download AltairCapture software to make it work. (Do not plug in the camera until you have downloaded the software).
- Fully supported by the latest version of Sharpcap for still and video capture, and full control of your camera. Sharpcap supports too many features to mention here!
- AltairCapture astrophotography software supports on-the-fly darkframe subtraction, video preview, video recording, snapshot image capture, timelapse, and real 8 or 12 bit data output in .SER and .AVI video, stills or frame-stacks in .PNG, TIFF .BMP formats and more. You can control the camera frame rate, exposure time from milliseconds to minutes, colour balance, gain, gamma, live histogram manipulation (in RGB or Mono), switching between mono or colour modes, camera resolution, ROI (Region Of Interest) and a lot more.
- ASCOM drivers available at www.altairastro.help.
- Sony IMX225C Colour CMOS sensor
- Sensor Size: 1/3" (6mm) diagonal, dimensions 4.8x3.6mm
- Exposure duration shortest/longest: 0.4 ms (0.0004 secs) / 800 secs
- Bit depth: 8bit and 12bit mode support
- Pixel size microns: 3.75x3.75 um
- Resolution in pixels: 1280x960
- Recording System: Still Picture and Video
- Region Of Interest (ROI) support
- 8 bit mode:
- 1280x960 30fps
- 640x480 58fps ROI
- 320x240 105fps ROI
- 12 bit mode - approx. 50% of above.
- Full Well Capacity 9630.74 e- at zero gain setting (1.0x)
- Read noise 0.68e- with 2.35 e/ADU at zero gain setting (1.0x)
- Readout: Progressive Scan
- Shutter: Electronic Rolling Shutter
- QE Unknown at this time
Spectral Range & Colour Management - colour camera:
- 350-1050nm with double sided AR Coated window (removable)
- White balance: ROI White Balance/ Manual Temp-Tint Adjustment
- Colour Rendering Technique: Ultra Fine Colour Engine
Software & OS support:
- Drivers & software download (Windows only): www.altairastro.help
- Driver support: PHD2, AltairCapture, SharpCap, (Windows DirectShow)
- AltairCapture OS support: Win Vista/ 7/ 8/ 10 (32 & 64 bit)
- USB Port & Cable: 2.0 USB, 2m cable
- ST4 Port & Cable: Standard ST4 Opto-Isolated, 1.5m cable, iOptron, Celestron, Skywatcher SynScan GOTO.
- Cooling: High Performance Cooling Chassis uses telescope focuser as heat-sink
- Camera body length: 63mm total length including C-Mount and 1.25" Astro barrel
- Weight grams: 70 g (camera net weight)
- Optical window built into CS Mount Adapter before 1.25" front barrel - can be removed:
- Colour Camera: AR-coated UV/IR blocking filter 380-650nm wavelength transmission
Back-focus & Adapter compatibility:
- Optical Window is removable to reveal female C-Mount thread.
- Camera body: OD 1.25" stepped barrel
- Camera body thread: C/CS-Mount female allows direct attachment of CS-Mount lens or C-Mount lens with 5mm extension.
- C-mount lens adapter: Included, terminates in female thread.
- C-mount lens compatibility: C-Mount male threaded lens with 17.526 mm back-focus (or flange-distance) requirement.
- C-mount lens compatibility: C-Mount male threaded lens with 12.526 mm back-focus (or flange-distance) requirement.
- Astro filter thread adapter: Included, 1.25" OD, Female thread
- Pushfit Barrel OD: Standard Astro format 1.25" OD eyepiece-barrel
- Sensor surface distance from flat end of C-mount adapter: 17.58 mm
- Sensor surface distance from flat end of 20mm 1.25 Astro adapter: 37.58 mm
Operating environment conditions:
- Power consumption: 0.8 W (Ave. Camera running)
- Max operating temp: 50 °C
- Lowest operating temp: -10 °C
- Max operating humidity: 80 % RH
- Power source in Volts: 5V DC (obtained via USB cable)
Windows PC Hardware Requirements:
- Minimum CPU: Equal to Intel Core2 2.8GHz or Higher
- Minimum Memory: 2GB or More
- USB port: USB2.0 High-speed Port
- Monitor Display: 17" or Larger
- Software delivery: Online www.altairastro.help
- Protective rubber end-cap
- Padded cardboard storage box with durable foam inserts
Altair Astro Premium 1.25" CLS-CCD Filter with UV/IR Block & AR Coating (Code: F125CLSCCD) for imaging emission nebulae in light polluted urban enivonments.
Warranty: 2 years manufacturer warranty against defects in materials and worksmanship.
Availability: If out of stock, click on the red "Notify when in stock" button above to receive an email when product is ready to ship.
Altair Astro and dealers reserve the right to change the product specification and/or price at any time without notice.
Delivery Weight Package