Altair PlanoStar 3" 1.0x Flattener for 102 110 115 130 refractors (Canon EOS DSLR Kit)
Altair PlanoStar Field Flattener specification:
- The 3" PlanoStar field flattener corrects for field curvature without altering the focal length of the telescope.
2x FMC lens elements when combined with the front triplet lens system, produce a 5-element optical system with excellent colour correction.
High quality multi-coatings on all surfaces ensure maximum transmission and almost zero reflections. These coatings are so efficient, the flattener lenses are almost invisible at first glance.
- The flattener is threaded directly to the 3" large format focuser for optimum rigidity. Simply remove the 2" pushfit adapter and screw the flattener into the rear of the focuser.
Removing the conical M48 rear adapter allows use with a full aperture of 68mm.
For 35mm DSLR chips, the conical adapter with M48 rear aperture reduces Vignetting to almost undetectable levels - compared to a T-Thread connection which causes some vignetting.
The optimum distance from the rear flat shoulder (excluding the m48 thread) of the flattener to the CCD chip in your camera is 51.5mm, however tests indicate that the flattener is very tolerant either side of this distance and you can probably work with a 5mm tolerance, if not more. The smaller your CCD chip, the more tolerance you have to work with and some customers with small chips are working 10mm outwards with no issues.
DSLR cameras and spacers: To connect a DSLR you need the Canon/Nikon M48 DSLR Adapter (available separately in the associated products below). The DSLR adapter adds about 10mm to the light path. The ideal distance to CCD sensor from the rear of the conical adapter flat shoulder excluding the M48 thread is 51.5mm. Here are two examples:
Example Canon EOS DSLR with M48 adapter: The Special Altair DSLR adapter adds 7mm to the light path, the EOS backfocus is 44mm. That's 54mm total minus the 51.5 ideal spacing which leaves 2.5mm. This is within 5mm tolerance.
Example Nikon F mount DSLR with M48 adapter: The generic Skywatcher Nikon DSLR adapter adds 8.5mm to the light path, and the Nikon backfocus is 46.5mm. That's 56.5mm total. 51.5mm ideal spacing minus 55mm = 3.5mm so this is within 5mm tolerance.
CCD cameras and spacers: It's possible to fine tune the spacing between your CCD camera or DSLR chip by using the Altair variable M48 and fixed M48 spacers. We recommend buying the Altair M48 spacers as a set to use in various combinations to get the ideal backfocus when you use your CCD equipment. If you subtract the light path distance taken up by your camera from the ideal spacing of 51.5mm from the rear thread shoulder of the conical adapter.
- Harrison Telescopes
- Telescope House
- Tring Astronomy Centre
- Rother Valley Optics
- F1 Telescopes
- Io Astronomy Please note: IO Astronomy voluntarily ceased trading with large unpaid debts affecting the entire UK astronomy industry. You may contact us for problems / issues with Altair or iOptron products ONLY - or try Darkframe Optics / Dave Woods. Unfortunately, we will not be able to support undeclared products bought from the ex-directors after the company ceased trading.
- Astro AS Denmark, Europe
- Robtics Netherlands
- Pierro Astro France
- SkyVision France
- Teleskop Service Ransburg Germany
North America & Canada orders:
- Land Sea & Sky (Takahashi America) North America
- Cloudbreak Optics North America
- Ontario Telescopes North America
Products can be ordered online from Altair with tracked insured shipping to anywhere in the world. For large items shipping price may need to be re-quoted.
Russia orders: Please contact.