Altair TMS 120mm Guide Scope Rings (Clear Silver)
This new Clear Silver colour goes well with any telescope, is arguably easier on the eye than black, and goes very nicely with our blue hardware range. Sure, telescopes are meant to be used in the dark - but there's no harm in your setup looking attractive too! A full Altair Telescope Mounting System is a thing to behold!
Check out this customer review of the earlier non-lightweight Altair TMS Guide Scope Rings (opens new window).
Direct bar or plate mounting: The Altair Guide Scope Rings are unique (at least at the time we write this) because they can be mounted on the top or bottom of Altair Losmandy-format or Vixen-format bars via two M6 bolts on each ring, to stop them twisting like other makes with single bolts. All Altair TMS Losmandy plates or Vixen bars have this two-hole pattern, and you can adjust the separation of the rings by choosing different holes along the length of the plate. GSR rings have flattened edges for good contact with the bar or plate they're fastened to and are far more rigid than any other guidescope rings we have seen to date.
Direct clamp mounting: GSR rings can also be mounted on Altair TMS Small Vixen Clamps or Losmandy Saddle Plates to slide back and forth to achieve the best balance. This is perfect for Altair Astro RCs and Meade and Celestron SCT telescopes with an inverted rail on top. (see picture below)
The GSR benefits from easy-grip hard anodised knobs, custom-machined for a positive grip (we tested several iterations). They are very easy to un-tighten and adjust, even with gloves on.
Each thread has a plastic end cap to give a more forgiving contact with your optical tube without causing movement. This is better than soft rubber end caps, which change compression with temperature and cause movement, often splitting after a year or so of use.
Altair TMS is made in the UK at our local machine shop on HAAS CNC milling machines, which means we have complete control over quality. Each part is hand polished before anodising to remove burs and give a smooth finish. The quality level and material means a slightly higher price than budget rings. Recommended for those who want the best.
An example of how you can attach our guide scope rings to the underside of our clamps is shown below (the blue version has the same hole patterns and compatibility as the Silver version):
If you order these rings we'll include the stainless steel bolts you need to attach them to your existing TMS hardware in the package.
Author: Charles Harris
The quality of the rings is the best I've seen before and the use of stainless steel threads plus the multitude of different ways to attach them to various plates makes this worthwhile for me. Adding attachment screws is a nice touch.
- Tring Astronomy Centre (Hertfordshire, Advanced Stockist)
- Green Witch (Birstal & Cambridge, Advanced Stockist)
- Telescope House (Kent, Advanced Stockist)
- Harrison Telescopes (Stockist)
- Rother Valley Optics (Stockist)
- Wex Photographic (Norwich, Stockist)
- Ian King Imaging (Kent, Stockist)
- Peak 2 Valley Instruments (Derbyshire, Stockist)
- Widescreen Centre (Cambridgeshire, Stockist)
- F1 Telescopes (Kent)
- Grovers (North Yorkshire)
- Io Astronomy Please note: IO Astronomy voluntarily ceased trading with large unpaid debts affecting the entire UK astronomy industry. You may contact us for problems / issues with Altair or iOptron products ONLY - or try Darkframe Optics / Dave Woods. Unfortunately, we will not be able to support undeclared products bought from the ex-directors after the company ceased trading.
- Artesky Italy, Europe
- Astromarket AST Optics Belgium, Europe
- Astro AS Denmark, Europe
- Astro Sweden Belgium, Europe
- Ktech Telescopes Ireland, Europe
- Pierro Astro France, Europe
- SkyVision France, Europe
- Teleskop Service Ransburg Germany, Europe
North America & Canada orders:
Products can be ordered online from Altair with tracked insured shipping to anywhere in the world. For large items shipping price may need to be re-quoted.
Russia orders: Please contact.