Altair TMS - Vixen Synta 180mm Dovetail Bar (Black Anodized)
The Altair Vixen-format dovetail bars are narrow and light - the perfect option for small telescopes, for example a refractor of up to about 102mm or 4" aperture.
To mount two small telescopes with Vixen-format dovetail bar side-by-side, we recommend the Altair TMS "Small Vixen Dovetail Clamp" which is designed to bolt directly onto either end of our Vixen (or Losmandy) bars and plates with two bolts, giving maximum rigidity and strength. (If you order clamps with your bars, we'll include all the stainless steel bolts you need).
Optical tube separation: When using the 180mm Vixen-format dovetail bar to mount two optical tubes "side-by-side", they will have a centre to centre separation of 160mm. When using the 250mm Vixen-format dovetail bar you'll get 230mm centre to centre separation.
A countersunk M6 hole at each end, plus a countersunk centre M6 slot, allows maximum compatibility for attachment to most telescope tube rings on the market today.
Precision CNC machined locally, and hard black anodized for extra resistance to tarnishing or scratching. Altair TMS is a precision machined modular Telescope Mounting System. Our aim is to provide a simple, safe and rigid mounting system for most types of telescope on the market, to give our customers the best possible results for astro imaging and visual observing. All components can be re-used which makes the overall cost of ownership very cost effective in the loing run. Made from the highest grade British aerospace 6068 T6 tempered and artificially aged aluminium, which has the highest strength in the 6000 series alloy range and is extremely corrosion resistant. All threads are stainless steel, and dovetail clamps are spring loaded with teflon washers.
Many different combinations are possible using the TMS. In the example below on the left hand side, a VDB-250 (250mm Vixen Dovetail Bar) is used in a side by side arrangement, being held in a lightweight VDC (Vixen Dovetail Clamp), which is in turn bolted directly to the end of a larger 350mm Losmandy Dovetail Bar (LDB). The larger telescope is an 8" Imaging Newtonian with standard tube rings. On the opposite side, a Losmandy Saddle Plate (LSP) is used to mount a 102mm refractor.
- Tring Astronomy Centre (Hertfordshire, Advanced Stockist)
- Green Witch (Birstal & Cambridge, Advanced Stockist)
- Telescope House (Kent, Advanced Stockist)
- Harrison Telescopes (Stockist)
- Rother Valley Optics (Stockist)
- Wex Photographic (Norwich, Stockist)
- Ian King Imaging (Kent, Stockist)
- Peak 2 Valley Instruments (Derbyshire, Stockist)
- Widescreen Centre (Cambridgeshire, Stockist)
- F1 Telescopes (Kent)
- Grovers (North Yorkshire)
- Io Astronomy Please note: IO Astronomy voluntarily ceased trading with large unpaid debts affecting the entire UK astronomy industry. You may contact us for problems / issues with Altair or iOptron products ONLY - or try Darkframe Optics / Dave Woods. Unfortunately, we will not be able to support undeclared products bought from the ex-directors after the company ceased trading.
- Artesky Italy, Europe
- Astromarket AST Optics Belgium, Europe
- Astro AS Denmark, Europe
- Astro Sweden Belgium, Europe
- Ktech Telescopes Ireland, Europe
- Pierro Astro France, Europe
- SkyVision France, Europe
- Teleskop Service Ransburg Germany, Europe
North America & Canada orders:
Products can be ordered online from Altair with tracked insured shipping to anywhere in the world. For large items shipping price may need to be re-quoted.
Russia orders: Please contact.