The Altair Astro 80mm ED Triplet APO refractor has a 480mm focal length triplet lens cell with FPL53 ED glass and QC optical test report. Every telescope lens has a serial number represented on the optical test report - your guarantee of top optical quality.
NEW Planostar v2 0.8x reducer is available giving a focal ratio of 4.8 for wide field imaging, ideal for astro cameras like the Hypercam 183C and 269C series. The spacing to sensor is 64.5mm and the rear thread is M48 male.
The benefit of these special optics is razor sharp, high contrast images, without any colour aberrations whatsoever. Faint and subtle details to be observed visually, and stars have the true "diamonds on black velvet" appearance only a quality refractor can provide.
As a portable wide field refractor for astro imaging, this is an very capable wide field imaging plaform. With such excellent colour correction and contrast, faint and subtle details have considerable "pop" in images. A rigid aluminium tube with two tube rings allows stable mounting for astro photography, and the rotating 2.5" Rack and Pinion dual speed focuser can handle your imaging system, whilst keeping the telescope light. The Altair Planostar 1.0x Field Flattener (PLANOS-2-1.0-80-F6-M48) converts your Wave Series telescope into a flat-field astrograph at it's fast F6 native focal length. DSLR and CCD adapters are available for attachment of various cameras (please see associated products for more info).
The light weight dual-speed "Rack 'n Pinion" focuser rotates on Teflon-tipped adjustable screws, has CNC machined internal knife edge baffles, and a self centering 2" rear adapter, and even a 2" to 1.25" self centering adapter with brass compression ring (sold by some companies for £50 on it's own!). The optional Field flatteners can be attached directly by unscrewing the self centering rear assembly and removing it from the focuser. The CNC focuser is compatible with the Pegasus motor focuser, for perfect PC automated or manual focusing via the hand controller or USB port and ASCOM compatible software.
The new 2019 CNC tube rings are further improved for lightness, and provided with standard 3x M6 hole pattern with 30mm centres to fit most hardware mounting systems on the market. They are fully compatible with the Altair TMS (TM) and Starwave (TM) telescope mounting Systems.
We recommend either the Altair Astro 60mm RACI Deluxe Finder Scope / Altair Mini Guider 60, or for ultr-portabillity, the ultra compact MG32 Mini Guider system (see associated products below).
For astrophotography, this size optical tube assembly is perfect for the iOptron CEM25 or Skywatcher HE5 mounts.
Altair Wave Series 80mm F6 optics: Wave Series optics are repeatedly tested and re-figured at the final stages of production, until signed off by the optician in charge of the production batch. The best quality glass is used which is fully annealed and cooled over several days to relieve internal stresses. SFPL-53 is referred to as Synthetic Fluorite or Super ED Abbe number of 94.94, plus or minus .01 per batch. (Fluorite crystal by comparison is 94.99 but with more variation from batch-to-batch, and has less stable chemical, thermal and physical properties with for all intents and purposes the same performance). Each lens cell has a serial number engraved on the front ring. Working closely with our optical technicians, we have introduced a second and unique quality assurance process for all Wave Series lenses, to ensure the highest quality and lowest chromatic aberration. Altair Astro was the first company to use this approach in 2014 with the Wave Series telescopes and our optical contractors have a fully bedded in process. These lenses are modified in rotation and spacing, and we start off with far superior lenses to the "normal" production quality lenses offered by most manufacturers, from original test plates. Star tests speak for themselves, and colour correction is essentially perfect, as can be seen from the various observing reports and images taken with Wave Series refractors. Blue stars show negligible bloat in long exposure images, because the blue channel is particularly well controlled. Astigmatism and Coma are included in the report output (many manufacturers do not include them). Each fringe image is a "snapshot in time" of the lens on the test bench. Vibration, air currents and other environmental factors can influence the image and the outcome of the report slightly, but steps are taken to minimise these during testing. Providing a test report is a useful way for us to assure that our our internal production quality is consistent from batch-to-batch. A paper report printout is included with your telescope, which corresponds to the serial number visible on the lens (an example report is shown in the thumbnail images with serial number deleted). Please be aware this extra QC process adds a few months between production runs and there are often gaps in stock availability. You can click the "Notify when in stock" button to receive updates. This is not a "supermarket" telescope, therefore please always check with your dealer the product if the product is in stock.
Altair Wave Series Triplet 80mm APO Specifications & Features:
- Optical tube with air-spaced 80mm F6 Triplet ED lens system (480mm focal length)
- Ohara S-FPL53 ED (SD) glass element and mating elements housed in a precision adjustable CNC machined lens cell with temperature compensation interleaving. Strehl 0.95 or better according to our test process.
- Super-high transmission coating (STM Coating) on all air to glass surfaces.
- Resolving Power (Dawes Limit) 1.45 arc seconds
- Visual Limiting Magnitude 12.2 maximum
- Weight approx. 3kg, OTA length with dewshield retracted, 39cm.
- Precision CNC machined components and tube made from light, tough aluminium alloy with matte powder coat and hard anodising. Tube is hard matte powdercoated in Pearl White.
- Retractable lens shade / dew shield.
- 2.5" "Rack 'n Pinion" Geared dual speed focuser with 1:10 micro-focuser.
- Entire focuser rotates relative to the optical tube for easy photographic composition.
- Brass Teflon tension-adjustment screws and Teflon collet ensure focuser rotates smoothly, user-adjusted with a thin bladed screwdriver.
- Self-Centering 2" to 1.25" reducer with brass compression rings included.
- Front aluminium push-fit lens cap, rear plastic 1.25" dust plug.
- Standard 1.75" dovetail bar with stainless steel M6 cap-head screws included.
- Tube Rings with M6 threaded holes with 30mm spacing, compatible with Altair and most other mounting dovetail plates and bars.
- Hard Carry Case with foam insert, handle and keys. Case Dimensions 22cm Width x 45cm Length x 17.5cm Depth
- Altair Sabre mount with Vixen dovetail clamp & Tripod (visual use)
- Altair 60mm deluxe RACI finder scope & bracket
- Altair 2" Premium dielectric diagonal
- Altair ULTRAFLAT eyepiece range, particularly the AAUF-24 24mm
- Altair Lightwave Premium APO Flat Field Barlow lens particularly the 2" x2 version FFTX2-2IN
- Altair Astro Imaging-Ready Solar Hershel Wedge - extremely sharp at high powers.
- DayStar Quark Hydrogen Alpha eyepiece filter (see solar images).
- Cameras, DSLR or CMOS cameras like Altair GPCAM290 and Hypercam 183 Series (good pixel size match for high resolution imaging).
- Altair MG32 Miniguider or MG60 60mm Guide Scopes
- Starwave or Altair TMS mounting system
- Altair Dewzapper 3-4" Dew Heater & Controller
- Clear Skies!
Overseas orders and pricing - please contact us for shipping costs. For countries outside the European Union you do not need to pay sales tax, so you get a 20% discount.
Delivery Weight Package