The CGX 1100 Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph Equatorial Telescope (CGX 11” RASA) sets a new standard in astroimaging systems at an extremely affordable price. The CGX 11” RASA telescope is an excellent advanced-level imaging setup. The Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) produces images in a fraction of the time compared to other optical tubes. The CGX mount provides superior performance for larger telescopes while taking advantage of Celestron’s most advanced technologies: All-Star Polar Alignment, Celestron PWI telescope control software, Starry Night Special Edition software, SkyAlign, and permanently programmable periodic error correction (PPEC).
If you’re an experienced imager, you’ll love taking this portable mount to a dark sky site and enjoying all the conveniences of a larger observatory mount.
Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph Features
Capturing impressive deep-sky astroimages is easier than ever with Celestron’s Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) V2, the perfect companion to today’s top DSLR or astronomical CCD cameras. This fast, wide-field f/2.2 system allows for shorter exposure times compared to traditional f/10 astroimaging, without sacrificing resolution. Because shorter sub-exposure times are possible, your equatorial mount won’t need to accurately track over extended periods. The short focal length also lessens equatorial tracking demands. In many cases, autoguiding will not be required.
RASA 11 V2 builds on the legacy of Celestron’s Schmidt Cameras, which allowed astrophotographers to produce images with much shorter exposure times on film in the 1970s.
Today, with CCD sensor sizes as large as film or larger, the RASA 11 V2 offers a 43.3mm optimized image circle to capture pinpoint stars on the largest imaging chips. Optical performance for huge sensors with diagonals of up to 52mm wide is still excellent.
Combine this large image circle with a focal length of just 620mm and you have an instrument suitable for wide-field imaging, creating huge mosaics of the night sky, surveying, and even comet hunting.
The RASA 11 V2 features optics with 4-element rare-earth glass for images free of false color and aberrations like coma and field curvature. The optical quality and spot size across the entire image circle are unprecedented for an astrograph in this price range—or even that of a much more expensive instrument. The design also provides minimal vignetting.
RASA 11 V2 utilizes the new Ultra-Stable Focus System (USFS). At the heart of this system is a precision linear ball bearing. The bearing serves to minimize focus shift (unwanted lateral motion of the primary mirror during focusing which causes shifting of the image) and mirror flop (movement of the primary mirror when the telescope is pointing to different positions in the sky). The USFS is also compatible with the optional Celestron Focus Motor (#94155-A). The integrated 12V DC MagLev fan reduces cooldown time and provides optimal airflow through the dust filtered optical tube.
Engineered as a complete astroimaging system, every component of the RASA 11 V2 is optimized for peak performance with DSLR and astronomical CCD cameras. Down to the thickness of the glass used in the included fully-multicoated optical window or optional imaging filter, every component of the system has been taken into careful consideration to work together seamlessly. The Dovetail CGE bars on the top of the optical tube provides a connection for use of optional accessories like a guidescope.
Celestron’s engineering team applied their years of experience designing German equatorial mounts to CGX, a culmination of all Celestron’s advancements in technology, value, and ease-of-use. Capable of carrying the RASA 11 with ease, the CGX is perfect for backyard and remote imagers looking for exceptional load capacity to weight ratio, compact design, and innovative features that fully support advanced telescopes, imaging kits, and the latest in wireless tech accessories.
CGX was designed to better support your telescope for both visual and astroimaging pursuits. Key design goals included:
- a lower profile EQ head, which provides a more compact and more stable setup
- a better drive system
- remote operation-friendly features with home and limit optical sensors
- easier polar alignment adjustments
- improved cable management.
In addition to achieving all these goals, we’ve made mechanical and ergonomic improvements throughout CGX to make the mount sturdier, easier to use, and transport.
Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph Features
- Ultra-fast, 11-inch f/2.2 optical design with rare-earth glass for images free of false color, coma, and field curvature. Cuts imaging time by more than half
- Expansive 43.3 optimized image circle maintains pinpoint stars to the far corners of even the largest astroimaging sensors, while the usable field extends even further to 52 mm for larger format sensors.
- New Ultra-Stable Focus System reduces image shift and mirror flop, while compatibility with the optional Focus Motor (#94155-A) provides the most precise focusing
- Quiet, high-output 12V MagLev fan reduces cooldown, vents with mesh filters block dust ingress
- Integrated air-cooling system features a quiet, high-output 12V MagLev fan and vents with mesh filters to prevent dust ingress
- Common camera adapters (T-thread and M48) included for easy attachment to popular CCD and DSLR cameras
CGX Mount and Tripod Features
- Sturdier and more rigid with quicker dampening time
- Increased load capacity to 55 lbs.
- Motors provide more torque, better slewing and tracking under heavy loads
- Heavy Duty belt-drive system minimizes backlash while providing smooth motor operation under heavy loads
- Spring-loaded brass worm wheel and stainless steel worm gear reduce friction and provide optimum gear mesh
- Internal cabling for worry-free remote operation. Power input and accessory ports remain stationary while the mount slews to avoid snags
- Internal hard stops for both axes prevents cable tension and tripod strike
- Internal optical sensors on both axes for simple and safe remote operation
- Home sensors allow the mount to always start in the index position regardless of orientation before a power reset
- Limit sensors automatically shut off slewing or tracking before reaching the hard stop fail safe
- CPWI control software developed in conjunction with PlaneWave Instruments for professional level control operation and imaging
- Software includes multi-point mount modeling for extremely precise pointing accuracy and many more additional features for remote astroimaging
- Wider tripod stance for improved stability
- Adjustable EQ head position to optimize center of gravity over the tripod and fully utilize the increased 3°-65° latitude range
- Integrated bubble level for accurate mount leveling
- “All-Star Polar Alignment” allows quick and very precise polar alignment. Align on any bright named star without extra polar alignment accessories, apps, or other assistance
- Dual-fit CG-5/Vixen and CGE/Losmandy dovetail saddle
- 2" steel legs with height index marks for quick leveling
- "Jack of all trays" can hold three 1.25" eyepieces, two 2" eyepieces, your smartphone, or other accessories
- +20° of additional tracking past the meridian on either side
- Tripod legs can be collapsed with accessory tray installed for faster setup and transport
- Two handles for easy pickup and transport
- Ergonomically designed dovetail clamping knobs
- Innovative and improved polar alignment adjustment system. Ergonomic adjustment knobs with reduced friction for smooth and easy positioning under full loads. Stationary latitude knob with a linkage system greatly reduces the amount of friction when polar aligning the mount. Redesigned azimuth adjustment with low-friction Teflon bearings to make adjustments easy under full load. No more binding, rough adjustments!
- Ergonomic latitude adjuster for smooth and easy adjustment under full loads
- Optional add-on polar axis finderscope
- Easy to read latitude scale
- NexStar+ hand control with USB port
- Two AUX accessory ports support WiFi and automatic alignment accessories such as StarSense AutoAlign and SkyPortal WiFi Module (sold separately)
- USB 2.0 port, used to connect directly to PC with included software
- Autoguider port
- PPEC ready
- Threaded 12VDC power input barrel connector
- Internal Real Time Clock (keeps time and site information saved
|OPTICAL TUBE INFO:|
|Optical Design||Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph|
|Focal Length||620mm (24.4")|
|Central obstruction diameter||114mm (4.48") (41% of aperture diameter)|
|Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye)||1588x|
|Resolution (Rayleigh)||0.49 arc seconds|
|Resolution (Dawes)||0.41 arc seconds|
|Image Circle||43.3mm (1.7") Ø , 4.0°|
|Useable field||52mm (2.04") Ø , 4.8° only minimal performance loss at edge of FOV|
|Wavelength range||400 - 700 nm|
|Spot size||< 4.4 μm RMS across FOV|
|Optical Coatings||StarBright XLT|
|Off-axis Illumination||83% at 21mm (.82") off-axis|
|Optical Window||68mm (2.67") Ø|
|Back focus with included camera adapter||55mm (2.16")|
|Back focus from top of threaded collar||72.8mm (2.86")|
|Optical Tube Length||838.2mm (33")|
|Optical Tube Diameter||330.2mm (13")|
|Focuser||Ultra-Stable Focus System|
|Optical Tube Weight||43 lbs (19.5 kg)|
|Other Features||Ventilation fan, dual dovetail mounting bars|
|Included items||42mm (1.65") T-thread camera adapter | 48mm (1.89") camera adapter | Dust cover | Fan battery pack|
|Dovetail||CGE Dovetail Bar|
|Mount Type||Computerized Equatorial|
|Instrument load capacity||55 lbs (25 kg)|
|Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod)||1200.15mm - 1968.5mm (47.25" - 77.5")|
|Tripod Leg Diameter||50.8mm (2") Steel tripod|
|Latitude adjustment range||3° - 65°|
|Mount Head Weight||44 lbs (20 kg)|
|Tripod Weight||19.2 lbs (8.7 kg)|
|Weight of Counterweights||4 x 11 lbs|
|Slew Speeds||9 slew speeds - max speed 4°/second|
|Tracking Rates||Sidereal, Solar and Lunar|
|Tracking Modes||EQ North & EQ South|
|Dovetail Compatibility||Dual saddle plates (CG-5 and CGE saddle)|
|Number of Auxiliary ports||2 Aux ports (Hand Control can use either Aux port)|
|USB Port||Yes, input for Mount and Hand Control|
|Power Requirements||12V DC, 4 amps|
|Motor Drive||DC servo motors|
|Alignment Procedures||2-Star Align, 1-Star Align, Solar System Align, Last Alignment, Quick Align|
|Periodic Error Correction||Yes|
|Computer Hand Control||2 line x 18 character backlit Liquid Crystal Display, 19 LED backlit buttons, USB 2.0 port for PC connection|
|NexStar+ Database||40,000+ objects, 100 user defined programmable objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects|
|Software||CPWI Telescope Control Software, Celestron Starry Night Special Edition Software, SkyPortal App|
|Total Kit Weight||150.2 lbs (68 kg)|
|Included Items||CGX Equatorial Head | CGX Tripod | Accessory Tray | 4 x 11 lbs counterweights | NexStar+ Hand Control | Counterweight Shaft | 8mm Allen Wrench | 12V DC Power Cable | Hand Control Holster|
Delivery Weight Package