Celestrons signature orange-tube telescope combines advanced features and excellent optics in one easy-to-use system, the NexStar 5SE. Its the perfect choice for your first serious telescope, offering striking views at an economical price.
Our Founders Vision, Reimagined for the 21st Century
In the 1970s, Celestrons Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes brought the hobby of astronomy to the masses and established Celestron as the worlds premier telescope maker. Our founder, Tom Johnson, invented Celestrons proprietary method of producing Schmidt corrector plates for superior views and maximum portability. Johnson believed in creating high-quality optical instruments at an affordable price, and inspired a generation of amateur astronomers.
Four decades later, weve improved upon this design by adding cutting-edge features, while staying true to our founders intent.
View the Universes Most Impressive Celestial Objects
The 5SEs five-inch primary mirror packs enough light-gathering ability to observe the best that the solar system has to offer: Saturns rings, the cloud bands on Jupiter, and geographic features on the surface of the Moon. When it comes to deep sky objects, take your 5SE to a dark-sky site and youll see hundreds of pinpoint stars in the Hercules Globular Cluster, the spiral arms of the Whirlpool Galaxy, and more.
Revolutionary Single Fork Arm Mount
We know the best telescope is the one you will use most often. Thats why Celestrons engineers created NexStar SEs unique, patented single fork arm mount. Its perfectly portable and makes setup quick and easy. Whats more, the NexStar SE breaks down into several lightweight and compact pieces, making it easy to transport, even in small vehicles. Youll have no problem getting the NexStar SE to your favorite observing site, or setting it up quickly in your backyard.
Of course, its whats inside the mount that really counts. Sturdy construction from high-quality components give NexStar SE the pointing and tracking accuracy needed to observe and follow your favorite targets with push-button ease. Use the included NexStar+ hand control to locate over 40,000 celestial objects, or take a Sky Tour and let your telescope show you the best objects currently visible.
Aligning your telescope is simple and painless, too, thanks to SkyAlign. This process makes alignment as easy as 1-2-3: just center three bright objects in your eyepiece and press ALIGN. For even easier alignment, attach our StarSense AutoAlign and your NexStar SE aligns itself!
Advanced Features Let the NexStar SE Grow with You
The NexStar SE is compatible with all the high-tech accessories advanced users love. Provide GPS coordinates to your telescope with SkySync, or add automatic alignment functionality with StarSense AutoAlign.
If you want to explore the world of astroimaging, the 5SE is a perfect choice. Its built-in wedge allows you to track long exposures. You can even remove the telescopes secondary mirror and replace it with a DSLR or astronomical CCD camera for wide field images captured at f/2 using a Fastar/HyperStar lens assembly. Or, if youre interested in imaging the Moon and planets, pair your NexStar 5SE with one of our Skyris cameras. From your first observing session and for years to come, the NexStar SE is your trusted companion.
OPTICAL TUBE INFO:
- Optical Design Schmidt-Cassegrain
- Aperture 125mm (4.92")
- Focal Length 1250mm (49")
- Focal Ratio f/10
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 25mm (.98")
- Magnification of Eyepiece 50x
- Finderscope StarPointer
- Star Diagonal 1.25" Star Diagonal
- Optical Tube Aluminum
- Highest Useful Magnification 295x
- Lowest Useful Magnification 18x
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude 13
- Resolution (Rayleigh) 1.11 arc seconds
- Resolution (Dawes) 0.93 arc seconds
- Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye) 329x
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction 51mm (2.0")
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter 40% %
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area 16.6% %
- Optical Coatings StarBright XLT
- Optical Tube Length 330mm (13")
- Optical Tube Diameter 152mm (6")
- Optical Tube Weight 6 lbs (2.7 kg)
- Dovetail Vixen / CG-5 Dovetail bar
- Mount Type Computerized Altitude-Azimuth Single Fork Arm
- Instrument load capacity 10 lbs (4.54 kg)
- Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod) 939.8mm - 2397mm (37" - 55")
- Tripod leg diameter 50.8mm (2") Stainless Steel
- Mount Head Weight 7 lbs (3.2 kg)
- Accessory Tray Yes
- Tripod Weight 10 lbs (4.54 kg)
- Slew Speeds 9 slew speeds - max speed 3°/second
- Tracking Rates Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
- Tracking Modes Alt-Az, EQ North & EQ South
- GPS N/A
- Dovetail Compatibility Vixen / CG-5 dovetail
- Number of Auxiliary ports 1x Aux port
- Autoguide port No
- USB port Yes, Hand Control input
- Power Requirements 8-AA batteries (not included) | 12 VDC-750 mA (Tip positive)
- Motor Drive DC servo motors
- Alignment Procedures SkyAlign, 1-Star Align, 2-Star Align, Auto 2-Star Align, Solar System Align, EQ North / EQ South Alignment (EQ align requires an equatorial wedge)
- Periodic Error Correction No
- Computerized Hand Control Double line, 18 character Liquid Crystal Display with 19 fiber optic backlit LED buttons
- NexStar+ Database 38,181 accessible objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects.
- Software Celestron's Starry Night Special Edition Software, SkyPortal App
- Total Kit Weight 17.6 lbs (8 kg)
Delivery Weight Package