With the Celestron StarSense Explorer LT 114AZ Smartphone App-Enabled Newtonian Reflector Telescope locating objects has never been easier, faster, or more accurate. Within minutes of setting up the telescope, you can be navigating the sky with confidence. Place your phone in the unique StarSense dock and launch the StarSense Explorer app. After aligning your phone to the telescope's optics (a quick, 2-minute procedure), the StarSense Explorer generates a list of celestial objects currently visible. Make your selection and arrows appear onscreen, guiding you as you to move the telescope. When the object is ready to view, the bullseye turns green.
The StarSense Explorer works with most modern smartphones, including iPhone 6 and up and most devices running Android 7.1.2 or later manufactured since 2016.
StarSense Explorer uses patent-pending technology and your smartphone to determine exactly where the telescope is pointed in the night sky. A Lost in Space Algorithm (LISA), like the ones satellites use in orbit to correctly reorient themselves, helps the app match star patterns it detects overhead to its internal database.
StarSense Explorer LT has a simple altazimuth mount which makes it easy to move the telescope to find your target. A slow-motion altitude adjustment knob helps you fine tune the telescope's pointing position and follow targets as they appear to drift across the night sky. It's all anchored by an adjustable, full-height tripod.
With a large 114mm objective lens, this telescope has enough light gathering ability to bring out detail in celestial objects. You can expect sharp, bright views of Jupiter's four Galilean moons, its cloud bands and Great Red Spot, the rings of Saturn, the trapezium in the Orion Nebula, and beautiful Pleaides Open Star Cluster.
Even if you live in a light polluted city location, StarSense Explorer is advanced enough to be able to pick out Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, the Orion Nebula, double stars, and a few more of the most famous celestial objects.
But if you can take the telescope to an even slightly darker location, more objects will become visible. With this 4.5 Newtonian and relatively dark skies, the Andromeda Galaxy, Hercules Open Star Cluster, and so many more are easily within your reach.
The entire telescope kit weighs just 10.4 pounds, so it's perfectly portable and easy to bring on your next camping trip or to a remote observing site.
- 114mm Newtonian Reflector optical tube
- StarSense dock for your smartphone
- Low powered (25mm) and high powered (10mm) eyepiece
- 2x Barlow lens to double the power of each eyepiece
- StarPointer red dot finderscope, perfect for using the telescope during the day or without the StarSense Explorer app
- Altazimuth mount with slow motion control rod
- Full-height tripod with an accessory tray to keep you organised
- Optical Design: Newtonian Reflector
- Aperture: 114mm
- Focal Length: 1000mm
- Focal Ratio: f/9
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 1: 25mm
- Magnification of Eyepiece 1: 40x
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 2: 10mm
- Magnification of Eyepiece 2: 100x
- Barlow Lens: 2x (1.25")
- Finderscope: StarPointer red dot finderscope
- Optical Tube: Steel
- Highest Useful Magnification: 269x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 16x
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 12.8
- Resolution (Rayleigh): 1.22 arc seconds
- Resolution (Dawes): 1.02 arc seconds
- Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye): 265x
- Optical Coatings: Glass mirrors coated with aluminum and SiO
- Optical Tube Length: 609.6mm (24")
- Optical Tube Diameter: 147mm (5.78")
- Mount Type: Manual Alt-Azimuth
- Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod): Aluminum, 1320.8mm (52") max height
- Tripod Leg Diameter: 31.75mm (1.75") steel
- Accessory Tray: Yes
- Slew Speeds: Manual
- GPS: Uses phone's GPS
- Dovetail Compatibility: CG-5 Dovetail bar
- Power Requirements: None (Recommend PowerTank Glow to keep phone charged while using app)
- Alignment Procedures: Use StarSense Explorer app
- Software: StarSense Explorer app | SkyPortal app | Celestron Starry Night Basic Edition Software
- Total Kit Weight: 10.4 lbs (4.71 kg)