Daystar QUARK Hydrogen Alpha Chromosphere Filter
Daystar Instruments QUARK* Hydrogen Alpha Chromosphere "Eyepiece" - buy from the UK solar experts. Altair sales staff are capable solar imagers with a wealth of experience observing and imaging the sun.
This new, All-In-One design marries high quality components of a telecentric Barlow, adaptors, snouts and Daystar hydrogen alpha filter into one simple assembly. Through design efficiency and optimisation, users can now enjoy the known high quality optics of DayStar at an affordable price.
For use on refractors of F/4 to F/9, the user needn't worry about configurations*. Just insert in your diagonal, the Quark*, add an eyepiece and view.
The QUARK* contains a custom Daystar Instruments 4.2X telecentric Barlow lens fully optimised in coatings and optical design specifically for the Hydrogen Alpha wavelength. This highly specialised telecentric lens offers superior field flatness.
Exact filter bandpass will vary based on final telescope application, so QUARK* assemblies are qualified to show either prominence or surface (chromosphere). No specific FWHM bandpass is designated. Now observers can buy a filter based on their desired observing goals instead of their budget. Choose prominences and surface (Chromosphere) detail.
The fully optimised design eliminates the need for any adaptors. It's all combined in one lightweight eyepiece sized device. The new, compact design configuration eliminates unnecessary components, weight and associated costs. We even reduced power consumption, so the Quark can now operate all day off a small, palm-sized optional battery pack. Baffles have been added to increase contrast and AR coatings are optimised for the 656nm wavelength.
*Please note: The Quark may be used as a standalone unit with refractors up to 80mm in diameter with a 2" UV/IR Cut filter placed on the front of the diagonal mirror. WIth apertures from 80mm or more, a front-mounted ERF "Energy Rejection Filter" is required. However, in all cases, an ERF mounted in front of the telescope produces better results, by eliminating heat build up inside the telescope optical tube and reducing tendency for the Quark to heat up, causing it to drift off-band. For any kind of reflector telescope of any aperture, an ERF is considered mandatory.
What's in the box:
- Quark Eyepiece
- 1.25" Eyepiece Drawtube
- Wall Power Adapter
- USB Power Cable
Technical information Daystar Quark:
- Dual 1.25" and 2.0" combination eyepiece snout with safety indent slot to fit directly into your diagonal.
- Standard 1.25 eyepiece drawtube output with optional 2" and SCT accessories available.
- Brass compression ring to protect eyepiece.
- It uses USB power, 5v 1.5amp.
- Includes a 90-240V AC wall adaptor with international plug adapters.
- Tuning knob allows wing shifting +/- 0.5Ã with detents at every 0.1Ã.
- LED indicator for power, warming, ready, fault.
- Five-year manufacturers warranty provided the Quark is kept in a warm dry location.
- Optional 8-hour battery pack available..
- Integrated, fully baffled two-element telecentric 4.2X Barlow optimised for 656nm.
- Integrated 12mm blocking filter.
- 21mm clear filter aperture.
- Best performance with F/4 - F/8 refractors.**
- Full disk viewing is possible on refractors up to ~450mm focal length refractors.
- No aperture limitations. May be used on larger refractors for higher magnification views.
- Ships in convenient Twist-Case for safe, dust-free storage.
- Not suited for off-axis applications for example with an off-axis ERF on a reflector. Quark must be central / concentric on a reflector. Contact us for technical information.
*The QUARK* assembly is a product of DayStar Instruments, using DayStar Filters' Fabry Perot etalon technology.
** QUARK Filters may be used at shorter and longer focal ratios than recommended. F-ratios of F/9 and higher will offer a dimmer visual view and may only be bright enough for photographic applications. F-ratios of less than F/4 will be brighter but also widen the effective FWHM bandpass performance of the QUARK filter.