The sSynScan USB adapter allows a more reliable wired connection between any Skywatcher Synscan Go-To mount and a PC and certain Android devices. The adapter plugs into the mount’s hand control port and connects to a computer with a USB cable (printer type - not supplied). Users can then control a Skywatcher Go-To telescope from a computer by using either the SynScan Pro application for Windows or third party applications like EQMOD and K-Star. The dongle is supplied with cables that support both alt-azimuth and equatorial Synscan Go-To mounts (except the EQ6 Pro when the mount’s handset cable should be used instead). The dongle can also be used for updating the mount's motor firmware.
Genuine SkyWatcher product
A genuine SkyWatcher adapter - fully tested and backed by the manufacturer, the logical choice for discerning owners
Use the handbox port of your mount with the supplied cables then a simple A to B USB cable (printer type - user supplied)
Please Note: Sky-Watcher mounts which have a built-in USB port do not require this dongle
SkyWatcher SynScan USB Adapter user manual
1. Connect to a Skywatcher Telescope Mount
Attach the SynScan USB dongle(RJ45 Jack) to the “Hand Control” port(RJ12 or RJ45 Jack) on the mount via:
- Supplied RJ45-to-RJ45 cable, for most equatorial mounts, except EQ6.
- Supplied RJ12-to-RJ45 cable, for most Alt-Az mounts.
- Original SynScan hand control cable, for all mounts
2. Connect to a PC
1) Connect the SynScan USB dongle to a PC with a USB A-to-B cable (also used on most printers)
2) The PC should be connected to internet to automatically download the device driver.
3) If the driver is installed properly, a device named “Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port(COMx)” can be found in “COM and LPT“ section of the Windows Device Manager.
3. Connect to an Android Device
1) The USB interface on the Android device must support USB OTG.
2) Depending on the type of the USB interface on the Android device, a USB C-to-B cable, or a USB OTGmicro-to-B cable is required to connect the Android devide and the SynScan USB dongle.
4. Recommended Applications
1) SynScan Pro App for Windows.
This application is for controlling the telescope mount.
2) MCFirmware Loader
This application if for updating the firmware of the motor controller.
SynScan Pro App.
This application is for controlling the telescope mount. Install from Google Play or http://www.skywatcher.com/download/software/synscan-app/
from USB Port.
Serial Port (RJ-45):
up to 1
3.3V or 5V Level
GND: Pin 1 and Pin 4
RX: Pin 5
TX: Pin 6