Starlight Xpress Trius SX-25C Colour CCD Camera
The Trius M25C is a one shot colour CCD camera with a medium to larger 23.4x15.6mm image frame offered by the Sony ICX453AQ Super HAD sensor. This larger sensor makes more use of the image circle offered by larger sized telescopes.
Get in touch for special price when purchased with an Altair Astro telescope.
The large 7.8 micron pixels make the Trius SX-25C CCD camera very sensitive (yes, even though it's a colour sensor), and well suited to medium-to-longer focal length scopes with larger image circles from about 800mm focal length onwards, such as the Altair Wave Series, the Wave Series 115, and of course the Wave Series 130mm. We recommend using the Altair Astro Planostar field flatteners with this camera.
It will perform best with APO or reflector telescopes, due to the better colour correction (good colour correction is recommended when using a one-shot colour CCD camera for a purer image).
It will also perform very well with Altair Ritchey Cretiens right up to our 12" and larger custom versions due to the larger airy discs at these longer focal lengths.
Altair tip: We often get asked what the difference is between the 26-C and 25-C cameras and which telescopes suit these cameras because they have the same frame dimensions yet different sensor specifications. Basically it's resolution and pixel size that's the most obvious difference between the two cameras, and the pixel size which is more of a consideration when it comes to matching camera to telescope. We recommend the 26C with higher 10.2mp resolution (6.05uM x 6.05uM pixels) if you have a short focal length refractor (shorter than, say 700mm) with a large image circle at about APS size. We recommend the more forgiving 6mp Trius M25 camera with 7.8 micron pixels if you have a longer focal length refractor of, say 800mm or longer or a reflector with a large image circle, such as a Ritchey Chretien or SCT.
Back focal length only 17mm +/-1mm.
The CCD sensor can be adjusted in tilt from the front of the camera.
- High speed USB 2.0 interface for approx. 3.5 second downloads at full resolution (somewhat computer dependent).
- Built-in autoguider interface and output - compatible with our optional dedicated external guide cameras.
- 3x powered USB ports for guider and filter wheel control
- Single USB cable control for all features for less cables in use overall
- Very large, high resolution 'SuperHAD' CCD chip, with 6,000,000 x 7.8uM square pixels in a 23.4 x 15.6mm array. Size equivalent to APS film.
- Single-shot colour, using a Bayer matrix of R, G and B on-chip filters. No filter wheel required.
- Triple USB hub for accessories, built-in.
- High performance two stage cooler for better than -35 C chip temperature reduction.
- Dry Argon chamber fill for improved cooling performance.
- Exceptionally low dark signal - No dark frames necessary for most deep sky objects.
- Exceptionally effective anti-blooming with minimal effect on linearity and no lost active area.
- High sensitivity, equivalent to 60% QE at peak of green filters.
- Back focal length 17mm +/-1mm.
- CCD type: Sony ICX453AQ SuperHAD CCD with ultra low dark current, Bayer RGB matrix and vertical anti-blooming.
- CCD Full resolution Pixel data: Pixel size: 7.8uM x 7.8uM, Image format: 3024 x 2016 pixels
- CCD Image area: 23.4mm (Horizontal) x 15.6mm (Vertical).
- CCD quality: Grade 1 or better - No bad columns, no dead pixels, no more than 50 'hot' pixels (saturated in <10 seconds).
- Spectral Response: QE max at 540nM (~60%), 50% roll-off at 400nM and 650nM.
- Readout Noise: Less than 12 electrons RMS - typically ONLY 7 electrons!
- Full-well capacity: Greater than 25,000 e- (unbinned)
- Anti-blooming: Overload margin greater than 800x.
- Dark current: Dark frame saturation time greater than 100 hours. Less than 0.02 electrons/second @ + 10C ambient.
- Data format: 16 bits.
- System gain: 0.4 electrons per ADU
- Computer Interface: Built-in USB 2.0 compatible interface. Also works with USB 1.1.
- Image download time: Typically 3.5 seconds full resolution using USB 2.0, approximately 8 seconds with USB 1.1.
- Power requirements: 115VAC / 240VAC @ 12VA, or 12VDC @ 1.5 A max.
- Cooling system: Regulated constant current cooling supply with two stage thermoelectric cooler to give a CCD temperature of approximately -35C below ambient.
- Size: 75 x 70mm black anodised aluminium barrel with 42mm 'T2' thread at the CCD window end & input/output plugs at rear. CCD alignment screws are provided for setting the chip parallel to the focal plane.
- Weight: approx. 400g.